Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Multitasking With Windows 8 Apps

I've been reading the myth that you can't multitask with Windows 8 apps. That myth is completely false! I run more than one app at a time in Windows 8 every day. It's also pretty easy to go back and forth between apps with the app switcher in the left of the screen.

Whenever you open an app in Windows 8 it goes to the app switcher. That app will stay open as long as you don't let it sit there for too long. Most apps that are not on the screen in front of you will pause, but that's a good thing. Why would you want an app to keep running when you're not using it? It's right there and ready for when you come back to it. Windows 8 suspends and then shuts down apps for you if you have stopped using them. This is to save memory in the computer. But anything you are switching back and forth to will stay open for you to use as much as you like.

A good way I like to run two apps at a time is to open an app, such as Twitter, and then snap it to the side of the screen in a smaller window. Then I'll open up my web browser in the main window. I can then browse the list of tweets in Twitter and click on any good links I find to have them open up into the web browser. I can also do something like this with OneNote, Latermark, and many others.

Another thing I like to do is go to the Windows File Explore and find photo image files to browse. I'll click on the first one to open it in the Photos app. Then I can snap the Photos app to the side of the screen while putting the desktop Windows file explorer in the main part. Then I can click on any photo file to see it come up in the snapped Photos app. I can do something similar to this with the Music app and the Video app.

These are just a few of the ways that you can multitask with Windows 8 apps. Do you know of any others? Any tips are welcome. This should prove that Windows 8 apps do indeed multitask. So all of those doubters are wrong. Now go have fun running more than one app in Windows 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment